Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 6, Issue 35

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 6, Issue 35
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 02:55:14 +0200

> Where's the write-up?
doc/client/TODO/*

> Our EMR structure or the GEHR ?
Ours. We won't use GEHRs ever unless you mean OpenEHR by
saying GEHR.

> I suppose my problem is with the distinction between Diagnosis , and
> Clin Health Issue
A diagnosis is a label for what "disease" the doctor currently thinks
a patient is suffering from. This is often used as the
semantic delimiter in billing. It is also often inaccurate and
- and because of the billing - skewed in contentional
objectivity.

A Health Issue is a long-term health problem existing in a
patient such as "susceptibility to multiple allergies",
"insulin-dependant diabetes mellitus", "fracture prone",
"unstable psyche", "socially inept/disadvantaged", "congenital
pulmonary dysplasie", "colonectomy post-op condition". As you
see, a health issue may or may not correspond to a "cleanly"
fleshed out diagnosis. Some patients may never have any Health
Issues of note (except for "somewhat increased general
susceptibility to falling ill due to advanced age"). Some may
have an Issue that's never appreciated due to lack of
correlation or information. A Health Issue is used to group
medically related episodes under a common heading.