[Gnumed-devel] so, where are we now on data persistence

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] so, where are we now on data persistence
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 00:01:16 +0200

All,

in order to get things moving again let me restate the
"consensus" on widget data handling as it presents itself to
me:

1) input fields validate their input in real-time if needed
2) input fields "persist" their content upon "evt_lose_focus"
   in a GUI form/widget level dictionary, the purpose of this
   being for easier access to the values and client crash
   recovery, this is to be done in a generic way such that as
   little code as possible needs to be written per UI widget,
   this requires something like Syan's handlers or
   PropertySupport with a better name :-)
3) the widget level dict persists itself to a temp file for
   crash recovery, this is to be done generically, preferably
   in the background somehow, say, in a thread; upon widget
   creation the widget checks for existence of such a file and
   pre-fills itself from it assuming the client crashed, this
   needs to be rather smart or it'll be annoying
4) upon a given event (button pressed, implicit end-of-input
   when following some pre-defined work-flow) the widget level
   dict persists itself into appropriate business objects (I
   wonder how this can be done generically) telling the
   business object "I am done with this data, deal with it",
   this may be invoked by Ian's generic save() but will IMHO
   need a widget specific implementation of said save()
5) the business object (which may reside in a service server
   or in the app) now persists itself to the datastore

Anything I have missed ? Any changes ? Please act now so we
can get back to implementation.

Thought: Should we store some value in a database table that
gets explicitely cleared when the app exits cleanly and thus
persists if it crashes ?

Thanks,