[Gnumed-devel] progress in gmPatient/gmDemographics

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] progress in gmPatient/gmDemographics
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:32:26 +0100

Ian,

I have reverted back to passing in a patient ID instead of a
demographics object. However, I have retained all your code and
separation of duty. My reasoning is that the calling code
should not at all have to worry about the demographics object
until it explicitely asks for it. Also, patient creation should
be done outside either object. Also, note that that ID
actually is an opaque entity. It needn't be a DB table primary
key at all once we have alternative storage available such as
LDAP for demographics. Buds of which already grow in the
naming of stuff in gmDemographics. The objects better know
what to do with it depending on their current storage
container. Eventually it should be a PUPIC.

The sequence for setting up a new patient would go like this:

new_ID = gmPatient.create_dummy_identity()
if new_ID is None:
    print "this is an unlikely case"
# make new patient active
curr_pat = gmPatient.gmCurrentPatient(new_ID)
# now on to other stuff
demos = curr_pat['demographics']
demos.setActiveName(...)

Or, if one wants to set up some data before making the patient
active:

new_pat = gmPatient.gmPerson(new_ID)
demos = curr_pat['demographics']
demos.setActiveName(...)
del new_pat
curr_pat = gmPatient.gmCurrentPatient(new_ID)

I think we are eventually getting in good shape. Things are
looking good on the Syan front, too, I gather.