Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation on RedHat

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Installation on RedHat
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 14:17:33 -0500

This made me think of an important point. For myself, I am familiear with python and I know a little wxPython, but I have no clue about postgres. For me, it is easier just to access the public database provided by Karsten. For new developers, shouldn't we present them with two options: 1) just the client, or 2) local database ? To me, the hardest part seems to be setting up a local database. It is still possible to do development on gnumed without having your own local db IMHO.

Dave

Yudhvir Singh Sidhu wrote:

I am reading the "Installation" thread with interest. I followed the install directions and got all those rpms installed - I am on a RH 8.0 system. I even got the first graphic login to come up.

I did not know what the password was until after I deleted the "data" directory. No matter how many times I run that "init" command to rebuild the data directory, I keep getting errors. And I have not seen that login screen since.

Now I will un and re install everything. Once I can get to the login screen, I have to run the gnumed install script - right?

Also, what are the libraries the installation insutructions refer to?

Once I get the install going - with your help - I would like to write up the documentation for a redhat install. That should help alleviate some fog.

Yudhvir