Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:30:06 +0100

> > > This tells me that the bootstrap script has a bug because an interactive
> > > question is going into stderr which is now being redirected:
> > Catch 22.
> Why? I didn't understand why it is a catch 22.
a) we can't redirect because the channel for the interactive
question(s) (yes/no, passwords) seems to be the same as for
the psql output for some reason
b) we need redirection to capture all the output in order to
have any hope of evaluating it (couldn't get Python to control
psql via a pipe)

> What I meant was a scenario like this:
>
> 1) User runs bootstrap script
> 2) bootstrap script notices that things are already installed, at least
>    partly
I'd be delighted to learn how to do that in SQL.

> 3) bootstrap script asks user if s/he wants to DROP everything and start
>    from scratch
I'd be delighted to learn how to do that in SQL.

The one way I can think of would be to make the bootstrap
script drop/rename the DATABASE it wants to install after
asking for confirmation. Is that what people want ?