Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Hilmar Berger
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 00:46:35 +0100 (MET)

> > Surely it would be
> > simpler to call a python script directly from the bootstrap scripts,
> instead of going
> > Python script -> psql -> shell -> python script.
I agree that is not beautiful, but it was the only way to do it without
changing the bootstrap script. And I felt that it would be sufficient as a
preliminary solution.

> However, how would we go about setting the absolute AMIS path
> for loading data from the media into the tables ? Any way of
> evaluating env vars inside psql ?
I tried that without much success. The only possibility to read the path
from withing psql was to start a shell script. And even then I could not
concatenate the var and the relativ path to the single files.

> I am not entirely opposed to just having a separate
> load-AMIS_data.sh that needs to be run to load data and only
> handle the AMIS *schema* via bootstrap. Would simplify things
> considerably. Hilmar ?
Will do that. The user will then have to start the script manually (which is
not a show-stopper).

> Or do we need a hook in bootstrap*.conf for running arbitrary
> executables ? Which would then run load-AMIS_data.sh.

IMHO bootstrap should just do what it can do best: create the database.
User interactivity and script preprocessing should better be done outside of
bootstrap in an GnuMed-Installer script.
This script should
- check for needed packages/versions
- check for a working postgres installation (maybe we could borrow some code
from debian-postinst scripts ?)
- install and configure ~/.gnumed/gnumed.conf so that it points either to a
local or to a remote (preexisting) database
- let the user choose one/a group of bootstrap-conf files to setup the
database
- query the user for information needed to setup the database
- preprocess sql scripts
- finally bootstrap the local database
- copy data from external sources to the newly created schemas if needed
(AMIS)

This script could have a GUI if needed or just run on the console. Comments
?

Hilmar

PS: I would volunteer to write that script :)