Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:20:24 +1100

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 11:40:10 +0100 (MET)
"Hilmar Berger" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > That way GNUMED_DIR/etc/ is a
> > standard path in which these datafiles will be searched.
> > > The Setup-Plugin and the DrugBrowser make use of this mechanism to find
> > > various config files. So if these two plugins don't do what want, check
> > the
> > > log-file if they find the config files.
> > Shouldn't we then add logic to these modules to make them find
> > client/etc/ in a stock CVS tree ?
> We could do that, but we should not add to much "standard locations" to the
> search path for config files.
> IMHO there are already too many dirs we search config files in.
> While running from CVS we certainly need
> ~/.<basename>
> (/etc/<basename>/ - not used if everything is in the CVS-tree)
> GNUMED_DIR/client/etc
> (+ a fallback for windows)
>
> Once gnumed is properly installed we will need
> ~/.<basename>
> /etc/<basename>/
> GNUMED_DIR/client/etc (as fallback)
> (+ a fallback for windows)
>
> Right now we search /etc, too. This might lead to name confusions. It's
> better to separate gnumed config files.
>
> So what we need is a proper way to find the GNUMED_DIR in both cases, either
> set from the environment
> or by some logic within gmCfg. If we assume that gnumed.py will always be in
> client/wxpython, then it will be quite easy to determine the base dir. Is
> this assumption correct ?

Windows is the exception. Home directories are a poorly evolved concept,
users often don't enter a directory even when running from CVS (They would open
up the
directory in Windows Explorer and click on the file, so the current directory
of this
process would be "C:\Windows")

Our options are
        1/ try to divine the gnumed directory by argv[0]
        2/ use the registry (the "official" way) Python has libraries for
this, but we need an installer EXE, I have started work on this but we need a
functional client
before its worth packaging it.

Ian