Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:16:17 +0100

... snip

> Our options are
>       1/ try to divine the gnumed directory by argv[0]
>       2/ use the registry (the "official" way) Python has libraries for
> this, but we need an installer EXE, I have started work on this but we need
> a functional client before its worth packaging it.

Which installer package do you use ? I have used nsis before.
I used it for packaging GNUmed/Arrchive.

I have issued a call for help on www.gnumed.de. Noone volunteered
to take over the packaging duty although pretty much every Windows poweruser
could do it. You don't even need sophisticated programming skills.

I have a nsis script flying around that could do the job.
Need updates here and there but works quite nicely.

Maybe we should issue a call for help with packaging on gnumed.org.
This would reach the non-German audience.

Because no Windows-user stepped up I lowered the priority of packaging
GNUmed for Windows.

@Windows-users.
Have you been anxious to try GNUmed but do not have
the dedication to learn GNU/Linux , CVS and the like ?
Step up. You can do it ! We will get you started in no time.

Here is a list of nsis features we should employ:

check for Python , wxPython, pypgsql etc.
check for prior versions of GNUmed
download above mentioned packages if necessary
(yes, nsis can do this)
alternatively install them from CD
(if we package one )
configure config files on the fly to match installation directory

the basic installation, menu shortcuts etc already work in my script so
this is a start.

I wonder how many people will answer a call on gnumed.org

Keep hackin'
Sebastian Hilbert