Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] install instructions
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:03:50 +0100

On Friday 07 November 2003 19:00, Hilmar Berger wrote:
> > Here is a list of nsis features we should employ:
> >
> > check for Python , wxPython, pypgsql etc.
> > check for prior versions of GNUmed
> > download above mentioned packages if necessary
> > (yes, nsis can do this)
> > alternatively install them from CD
> > (if we package one )
> > configure config files on the fly to match installation directory
>
> I wonder if there is a way to share parts of the installation between linux
> and windows.
> I planned to write something like an GUI-installer for linux using
> wxWindows. This would expect that the
> appropriate packages are installed  and just check if everything (postgres,
> wxWindows etc) is installed and configured correctly.
> We could even download missing packages, but usually this job will be done
> better by a package manager (dpgk, yast etc.).
> Then the user should be able to choose the type of server installation  and
> configure the server and client appropriately.
> If some of this would be written in python we could possibly share these
> pieces between both OS. But maybe it's easier to build that tool for
> windows and linux separately.
Since we are all (most of us) spoiled with graphical installers we would like
to see something like it for GNUmed. Given the current state of GNUmed I do
not think that a graphical installer has high priority. Unfortunately we will
not attract more coders (which we would need) but many more users who will
steel our time by asking how do I do that or why is this feature not in yet
(I know what I am talking about).

This particular audience may order GNUmed-Live-CDs (based on KNOPPIX) .

IMHO nsis is very nice and works out of the box on Windows. I do not see a
reason why the Windows installer should be based on Python and wxwindows.

Even on GNU/Linux (and other serious OS' :-)) we should think about coding an
installer that has very few dependencies. This installer should gather
information about ones packages and install what is necessary. Ideally it
could detect a missing python installation and get it via apt-get, yast etc.
It should not even depend on python. Call me paranoid but I have had python
rpms lately that did not work at all. This would than render the installer
unusable.

BTW , on Windows we only need an installer for the client.
So this can be accomplished by using nsis. No need for extra coding.

Still curious when the first Windows folks start shouting. Here, let me do it.

Last but not least. On Dec 17th GNUmed KNOPPIX will be six month old.
I planned on updating the image twice a year but I don't think it is going to
happen. Considering the time it takes to produce the image I do not see
any considerable , end-user visible progress. This is partly due to my failure
to code more during the last six month but it shows very clearly that GNUmed
is definetly not progressing the way we (at least I) had hoped.

Sebastian