Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS guidelines (or: governance of gnumed)

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] CVS guidelines (or: governance of gnumed)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:30:17 +1100

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:31:40 +0100
Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> To all !!!!! developers,
>
> Today something happened that never should have.
> Large pieces of code were moved into the main trunk without informing the
> project admins and/or this list.
I agree is this a bad idea, although a I am loathe to "cast the first stone"
(one will find plenty of empty log entries under my name in CVS!)

(As an aside: I am also guilty of  spaces/tabs admixture, probably as a
resultof my editor. (Emacs)
I am happy to change: what editors to people suggest?)

I agree with Hilmar gnumed is too early in its development to have a
Linux-style process. What we need to get to that stage is:
1. a "benelovent dictator" or at least "presidium" to co-ordinate things
2. a clearly established codebase with documented internal APIs
3. a clear design endpoint

Prior to 2. Torvalds worked largely in isolation. The *BSDs started in the
pre-internet era with Berkeley students working largely face-to-face.
( and again with the AT&T codebase to work with) Both initally had commerical
Unices to aim for.

Horst is the logical choice for a Linus type role, but AFAIK he is  too busy.
So I would propose a "gnumed junta"

1. Karsten: backend database schemas, bootstrapping of same
2. Myself: middleware layer
3. Syan: wxPython frontend
4. Sebastian: packaging

All major commits on these areas must either be by this person or with their
approval.
I am trying not to be prescriptive or exclusionary here: volunteers for other
domains/alternative divisions are welcome
naturally we should still discuss major design decisions on this list.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E