[Gnumed-devel] CVS guidelines (update)

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] CVS guidelines (update)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:39:54 +0100

Various people have submitted their input.
I encourage everybody else who has commited code at one time or another to
raise your voice.

> I suggest [update] :
>
> Whoever wants/has CVS write access follows these guidelines or CVS rights
> will not be granted or even revoked by the current project admin (not me
> luckily)
The most important rule is that you have to think before commiting.
Code, test, retest, make sure you did not introduce new bugs, if unsure
contact the author of that code or admininistator.

If you do not receive sufficient feedback within a reasonable timeframe inqire
again. Do not assume saying nothing means approval.
(I probably need to adapt to this rule as well)

> 1.) start your work in test-area
2.) see below
> 3.) unreviewed patches will not make it into CVS (main trunk)
> 4.) comment your code ( and I mean comment everything even if it might seem
> stupid to you !!!! )
> 5.) see below
> 6.) submit early and often / announce changes to the list
> 7.) be aware that huge patches will most likely be ignored by peer
> reviewers unless they agree with it
> 8.) do not mix tabs and spaces when indenting ( tabs are preferred )
> 9.) never commit files you did not change
> 10.) add commit comments to each file you commit !!!
> 11.) take  a close look at what code is already there, use existing code
> whenever possible, enhance existing code whenever necessary
> 12.) wanna code your own client ? That's perfectly fine . Please stick to
> test-area for that

> 2.) from now on all patches should be peer reviewed before comitting to CVS
Lets not drop this just like this. Patches may have been the wrong choice of
words. I consider it essential to submit early and often. It still should run
though. If you code like crazy in test-area and add new functions to files
you are not responsible for (you did not append it initially or have not take
over the duty of maintaining the file) do not commit substantial changes
without contacting the guy that is responsible for the file.

Let me give you an example. Karsten and me are responsible for GNUmed/Archive,
gmXDT,gmKVK, gmlog, and maybe some more files. If you feel that there need to
be substantial changes to these files (not just pachtes) please tell us, send
us your changes and we will work together to make it work.

>5. )uncommented code (new files etc. ) will not make it into CVS
uncommented code (new files etc. ) will not make it into * the main trunk*

Anything I missed ?

So long,
Sebastian