[Gnumed-devel] Scripts and Gnucash -- Integration or Middleware?

From: Yudhvir Singh Sidhu
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Scripts and Gnucash -- Integration or Middleware?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:51:52 -0800

Syan Wrote:

Syan -- scripts implements medical decisions. What are scripts? How does it work? [Yudhvir -- Maybe my nomenclature is wrong, the speaker alluded to what I think of as scripts. For example, a patient breaks her leg in an accident. The doctor prescribes medicine a for the pain and schedules surgery to fix this and that for the same afternoon. When he inputs the surgery schedule, a script runs:

-  for a female patient
-  between the ages of 18 and 26 -  who is being treated for a broken leg
- display warning "There is a 45% chance of Toxic Shock Syndrome in Latin Female patients if surgery for a severely broken leg is performed within 6 hours. The probability for shock is reduced to 15% for surgery performed 8 to 10 hours after the injury. a 12 hour waiting period is recommended."

I am not a doctor, so my example is weak and simplistic. From what I understood, doctors will be able to write their own scripts, or most probably, modify existing scripts.
]

Syan -- have you a structure in mind for gnucash that can be used in this project? I haven't really looked into gnucash and how to set it up. Should
Syan  -- we be trying out a tutorial on it somewhere ?
[Yudhvir -- 1. Gnucash comes with a tutorial for the software user. The s/w loads very easily via redhat rpm. 2. I do NOT have any idea what Gnucash schema or sql logic look like. 3. The problem I have is what exactly do we want to do? I have a business degree and have 16 years of IT experience, so I think I can help in this area. On one side is Gnucash which does accounting and on the other is bfree which does billing. I am thinking integration. What would that entail? Integration of the source codes would be problematic when the original code changes and we have to keep doing it on a regular basis. Or maybe once the structure is setup, we can do that easily.
]

Yudhvir Singh Sidhu