Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmEditArea

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gmEditArea
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:34:19 +0100

> I just had a look at gmEditarea and to me it looks somewhat messy.
Yes :-)

> There are three generations of edit area construction (Richard's, Karsten's
> and
> finally Syan's work).
Mine is supposed to be a "betterification" of Richard's and
Syan eventually merged some of his ideas (mapping values to
fields) with some of mine (the _make_edit_lines() stuff).
Eventually, I see two main areas we need work on: 1) move away
from mapping values directly to specialized tables and better
interact with business objects, 2) maybe reconsider Syan's way
of constructing the edit area layout and move from
_make_edit_lines() to

def add_prompt(lineno, color, text)
def add_field(lineno, position, weight, field_object)
def generate_editarea()

which does look a lot cleaner. I never had any gripes with
that, BTW :-)

> As Syan's new design made it to the main tree we should port
> the old stuff and remove the remainders.
No, we should clean up Syan's work and put the following lines
at the top of the others until they are merged into Syans work:

print "THIS IS NOT CONVERTED YET. DO NOT USE."
sys.exit(-1)

> BTW, is the yaml-code still needed ?
IMHO no.

> believe we could remove this as well ( and have one dependency less).
ACKed as far as I am concerned.