[Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Immunisation edit question

From: jbusser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Re: Immunisation edit question
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:18:18 -0800

Noting vaccinations given "outside" the practice is analogous to noting:
- medications the patient is receiving (prescribed by someone else)
- important tests or procedures (MRI scans), done by someone else
- consultants seen by patient, arranged by someone else

I wonder if the general approach is to be able to input the information from
the same screens as if ordering them oneself, BUT in those screens to be
able to specify "elsewhere" or "someone else" or, if the physician identity
is known, to have the option of specifying.

If the item would then ordinarily be treated as an action item
(prescription to be printed/sent, test or consult to be arranged), the logic
would need to trap items "done elsewhere/by someone else" to avoid their
mistreatment as action items.

If information is stored in 2 areas (what's been done "within" the practice
versus what has been done "elsewhere") I could see a risk of action being
taken with only one (and not both) areas' information being taken into
account. I've certainly seen that happen.

I am not sure of a best option for recording dates, when the exact date in
unknown. Empty date fields distract once there is no hope of providing a
value. Partial dates (e.g. year known, but not month or date) require a
separate field or non-date field type which complicates validation and
calculation. If a standard within GnuMed has yet been developed to convey
that a date "is known to be unknown", extra work COULD permit certain dates
to have a companion "unknown" field which, if filled, could shade the date
area. Hope that doesn't sound wacky! Sorry I know little enough yet about
GnuMed, I have only recently started to look at it.