Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] (no subject)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 01:34:09 +0100

> I'm not sure how OpenEHR is different from a database with schema tables, or
> java with reflection, or xml with dtd and xslt,
> or python with self.__dict__ ;(
> deliberately inflammatory to get someone to explain).
hint taken but usually we don't need 'em

As far as I understand OpenEHR it is extra careful in it's
treatment of items, say, when it encounters a
missing/unknown/unasked/unavailable item it doesn't just say
"it is NULL" but rather encodes the specifics of the NULL (the
type of NULL). Rather like indicator variables in embedded
SQL. Sure, one could say "well, we just need to be careful
about such things, too" but the point is not that we *can* but
that we *don't* (go to such great lengths). The advantage of
OpenEHR is simply that it appears to be a *very* thoroughly
and conscientiously thought out model. It doesn't have any
innovative features that magically make problems go away but
rather *does* deal with all the problems they thought might
appear.

Of course, all this is moot until there's code we can connect
to.