Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 00:19:42 -0500

Ian Haywood wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:21:50 -0500
David Grant <address@hidden> wrote:
Although I like wiki's, how do you keep manuals updated with the content in the wiki? Wikis are great for doing all sorts of things with, but I don't know how to do a manual in wiki and keep it synchronized with an HTML docbook style manual.
An interesting project......

The people at Wikibooks.org are likely to come up with a solution
at some point [probably long before we have a user's manual longer than 10
pages]

In the meantime. I think  the advantages
outweigh this problem, as the docs need to be able to evolve quickly and have numerous people work on them. Certainly for the developer's manual we
should move to Wiki, as it's unlikely people will be printing it
out (the main advantage of Docbook)
Good call...this is an awesome idea to develop the manual using a wiki, since you are right; it needs to evolve quickly and there are many people. This would totally reduce the barrier to entry for me, as right now it is not possible (at least not easily) for me to change the manuals. It involves e-mailing people, which is just a waste of everyone's time.

And I just realized, that docs like these usually have very little formatting and can easily be ported to docbook later. And once the project is mature, the docs will evolve more slowly, eliminating the need for the wiki-manual in a way, and someone can just update the docbook one. Or by that time, wikibooks.org will have something.

It should be possible to print from a wiki, at least from wikipedia/wikibooks there is a printer-friendly mode.

Only to decide what wiki system to use? I've used phpwiki (I don't like it that much), and twiki (pretty good). Of course I've used wikipedia but I've never actually implemented my own wiki using their code.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:16:14 +1100