Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website

From: engelbert . gruber
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:01:32 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, David Grant wrote:

> I'm willing to take on the task of deciding which one to use.  If I feel
> I can implement it and get it going I'll ask Horst about server
> details.  I know I can set up twiki, because I've done it before.  But I
> just don't know if it is the best.
>
> I found MoinMoin, a python-based wiki.  It might be fitting to use it
> since gnumed is python-based.  At least it seems to be popular with the
> python crowd.  See: http://twistedmatrix.com/wiki/python/FrontPage and
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/
>
> I saw this: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/ianb/wiki/, but I
> have no idea what to do with it.  I have no idea what reST is either.
> If someone wants to enlighten me on this, please do.

docutils is yet another structured text tool. my main understanding of
structured text is:

1. the plain ascii text is a proper document without any need of
   postprocessing.
2. simple markup

there are a lot around: zope stx, docutils, some in perl for sure
every wiki uses structured text.

docutils : see http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/rst/quickstart.html

> Do we really need portability to docbook right now?  How about use any
> old wiki, whatever is deemed best, and then once the documentation
> becomes more mature, port it to whatever else, stick it in CVS and work
> from there.  OR, just leave it in wiki forever.  Any thoughts about
> this?  Two questions:

wiki use structured text and one could go from the wiki markup to
docutils and from there to docbook or openoffice or ... .

> What is the main idea behind using a wiki (for gnumed)?

as many authors collaborate as easy as possible.

> And what is the main point behind using docbook (for gnumed docs)?

unreadable input produces mediocre output :-)
maybe vex (A Visual Editor for XML) could be useful, i am currently
maintaining some docbook pages with small fun.

i could help with docutils maybe (did the latex writer and a manpage
writer)

cheers
--
 --- Engelbert Gruber -------+