Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed website
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:42:40 +1100

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:35:56 +1100
Tony Lembke <address@hidden> wrote:

> With regard to the gnumed.org -
>
> The whole site is actually all set up as a wiki. The little boxes in
> the bottom left are the 'hotspots' that allow direct page editing. The
Thanks for that reminder Tony: On second thoughts I think we should merge
gnumed.net
into gnumed.org as it is more wiki-like than I had supposed. (and take
gnumed.net offline to avoid confusion)
making gnumed.org the One True Website.  Although Plone/Zwiki are more
'orthodox'
type wikis I'm not convinced the advantages justify starting a whole new site.

If no-one has nay objections I would like to make some additions/reorganisations
to the 'development' section to reflect current status.

> The user manual is already linked in from cvs in the section
> 'Documentation' - however the savannah servers are currently down.
what we need is a cron script to download the docbook manual from CVS
compile it and put up the webpages. Having the compiled HTML in CVS is
bad IMHO. I am willing to work on this (when savannah is back or subversion
comes online)

> My experience has been that we are not yet at a state of play to make
> 'downloads' workable from the site rather than from cvs, but if I am
> out of date in this area please let me know.
True we do not have an overall working version (although Gnumed/Archive
standalone is apparently working) However, IMHO, we have overestimated the
risk of having installable gnumed versions 'loose' on the net. Hell, it can't
do much damage
in its current state! Instead, we have set the bar too high and are deterring
potential developers.
I propose an apt-get repository, and rpms, obviously the website should make it
abundantly clear
that these are "pre-alpha": i.e. for developers only.

I am happy to package RPMs (but I need someone using an rpm-based distro to
test them)

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E