Re: [Gnumed-devel] vaccinations, again

From: richard terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] vaccinations, again
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 20:20:44 +1100

Hi Karsten,

I have been away on holidays with Charlotte down into Victoria - to the
goldfields, much australian history here, including the famous (in oz)
eureka rebellion. Arrived home last night.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:42 am, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> Richard,
>
> in the left middle list we are listing regimes/schedules
> a patient has been vaccinated against.

This seems to be correct. (the list can contain a regime or only  a disease
name or course)

> This is linked
> to the table vacc_regime which lists vaccination regimes as
> recommended by some authority or other.

Not directly in my database.

I saved vaccination data back to data_immunisations, I include a screen dump
of this table structure. The schedule_ID contained within this data table
pointed to the regime/shedule/disease target.

When the patients clinical data is loaded a join from the data_immunsation
table to the lu_shedules table pulls out the text to load into this list to
display in the listbox

> Is this what we really want there or do we rather want this
> list to be generated from the available vaccination
> *indications* ? The reason being that for example a vaccination
> for Japanese Encephalitis exists but is not on any of our
> recommended schedules. Nevertheless some of our patients *have*
> been vaccinated for that.

I suspect some of the confusion here is my nomenclature. We will have to
decide on that which makes sense to the greater group.

See the screen dump of the inside of the lu_schedules table.(NB THE COMMENT
NEXT TO THE SCHEDULE_ID  IN THIS PNG FILE IS NOT CORRECT - THE SCHEDULE_ID
CAN POINT TO AN INDIVIDUAL TARGET DISEASE NOT JUST A REGIME/SCHEDULE). Note
that in clinical practice as you mention we sometimes use combinations of
vaccines at a particular age (I used the term schedules -you may want to use
another term here as it may be ambiguous - eg 2 month immunization) which
consists of multiple vaccines against several different diseases, and at
others the vaccine is single, e.g as you mention japonese encephalitis.

As I've previously alluded to I used these tables.

lu_vaccines (the vaccine only data) (see lu_vaccines.png)
lu_vaccine_equivalents (used to cross check vaccine completion where different
- brand names or combinations used)
lu_vaccine_schedules
lu_vaccines_in_schedule (schedule_id linked to a vaccine_ID(s)
the age-due can be in the schedule table or dedicated table.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing. If so, retry please.

Richard