[Gnumed-devel] Re: re: installation

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: re: installation
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:41:32 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:08, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:50, syan wrote:
>
>  can you explain how apt-get works?
In short: Like a charm. ;-)

> There are repositories of packages - mostly  at places like ftp.au.debian.org.
> Firstly you set your apt-config to look at the repositories you want, and the
> standard of stability or excitement you want ie stable, testing, unstable.
For GnuMed you need at least testing.
(The packages I builded have versioned build depends and will ask for the
 right dependencies.)

> There are open-source versions of apt for other flavours of Linux, but the
> package lists aren't there, and you still have to wade through dependency
> hell to get apt installed in the first place.
While I have not tested apt for RPM (which exists and I have learned that
porters implemented some kind features which the original apt-get does not
(yet) have) I have to admit that I have some problems with this aproach:
There are many different distributions which deliver RPMs which follow different
policies to place certain files or to configure packages.  It might lead
to problems when you mix those RPMs intended for different distributions.
So I would double check before I would blindly install random RPMs via an
automatic installer.  Complying to a strict policy is one of the main advantages
of official Debian packages.

Kind regards

           Andreas.