[Gnumed-devel] Re: IMPORTANT change: __default__ as default value !

From: H.Berger
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: IMPORTANT change: __default__ as default value !
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:29:18 +0100

Hi,

Karsten Hilbert schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> I just now realized how poor a choice '__default__' was as a
> default value for, say, episodes or health issues. Poor
> because '_' has a meaning in LIKE queries. Originally I
> carried over the concept of '__' from Python but didn't invest
> appropriate thought into the matter. My first reflex was to
> use '***default***' instead but that's not much better since
> '*' has meaning in regular expressions ...
>
> So, I propose to change '__default__' to '>>>default<<<'.
> Anyone got any objections ? If I don't hear back by Tuesday
As special characters usually cause more problems than 'normal'
letters/numbers, why not substitute the __ or >>> with something like
1234 or mmmm. The probability that somebody enters theses nonsense
strings is equally low as for special characters. As long as we don't
have a value that can't be entered directly using the keyboard all
characters are equivalent, IMHO. My suggestion is 'xxxDEFAULTxxx'. That
will hardly cause any problem and is well readable.

Hilmar