[Gnumed-devel] gnumed debs, the need to re-bootstrap after a cvs update

From: Michael Bonert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed debs, the need to re-bootstrap after a cvs update
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:27:57 -0500 (EST)

>So why did you write an install guide for Debian if there are packages to
use for the people who are lazy? ;-)

It wasn't meant to be an install guide per se.  Any case, I want my
database to be current.  Also, I want to figure out how to install the
stuff on my laptop, which is running Mandrake 9.2 ('cause the
Debian installer couldn't cut it with my hardware).

>As I said: Just try the packages first, upgrade later to CVS.  IMHO this
should be the smoothest path to a reasonable installation (but I might be
wrong).

I knew you were developing 'em a while ago.  I didn't know they
worked... were available... where they are... find anything about 'em in
the documentation.

I don't know about the upgrade path being smooth.  A cvs update doesn't
change the database set-up and I know the interface depends on the
database structure and data in some database fields.  It is my
understanding that I'd have to re-bootstrap in the end.  At this stage I
have the required packages (wxpython, python, postgresql et cetera). So,
the only bonus from that path would be the structure left over from your
debs and I'm not convinced at this stage that that's a bonus.

I had the impression the anonymous cvs works... just a bit more involved--
guess that's a mistaken impression.

Take Care,
Michael