[Gnumed-devel] Re: [Fwd: Re: Gnumed web site]

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: [Fwd: Re: Gnumed web site]
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:47:05 +0100

> As an example of the need, Karsten had proposed I summarize a theme in
> gnumed, but I found little of what he was sure existed so have been

GnuMed (attempt at a mission statement)

- is aimed at the medical practice (GP, for now), NOT at
  hospitals (at least *I* won't code anything related to
  that)
- is eventually supposed to cover all aspects thereof
- will start out with medical record-keeping
- is supposed to interface well with 3rd-party software
- uses tried-and-tested technology (RDBMS)
- tries to do things cleanly but takes a pragmatic rather
  than purist approach to that
- currently data is accessed via business objects implemented
  in Python directly accessing the RDBMS
- it is planned to access much of the data via business
  objects accessing XML-RPC servers (your middleware, if you
  will) which, in turn, access the datastores

Does that help any ?