[Gnumed-devel] re gmBacklistener again

From: syan tan
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] re gmBacklistener again
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:46:13 +0800

>The callbacks to be dispatched are supposed to either set a simple flag that
triggers action within a module/widget, or to post a message into the wx
message queue.

So that comes back to whether wxWindow methods such
as updating wxListCtrl and widget.SetValue() actually wrap event posting and
are thread safe already, so stupid lazy programmers like me don't get tripped
by writing update code up front.

>Both these things should be thread safe in themselves. Complex
GUI operations are not suited to be triggered *directly* (vs via message
queue) via a dispatcher callback, though nothing
(but stupidity) is stopping
you from doing it.

Well, not everyone can be smart, but everyone should
be allowed to try.
(oops there's my minding reading auto proverb going off again).

Name calling aside, what is regarded as complex
enough to be thread unsafe?