Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxPython with GTK2 (again)

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] wxPython with GTK2 (again)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:29:25 +1100

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 07:59:44 +1100
Horst Herb <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 05:37, Roberto Mello wrote:
> > I asked this a few months ago but didn't get a good answer.
> >
> > I would like to recompile the Debian (unsable) wxwindows packages to use
> > GTK2. Anyone know how to go about doing that? I remember I tried modifying
> > the debian/rules compile opions, but compilation failed.
>
> I believe Ian Haywood has succeeded doing so

Download the latest sources direct from wxpython.org
(http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#sources)
The file README.1st.txt contains fairly good instructions on how to compile for
GTK2, don't think I can give a better explanation.
Ignore the author;s warnings about it beginning experimental: Gnumed is the
ultimate stress-test for wxWindows, and it works fine.
You will need to install gtk2 itself ("apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev") first.

I hasten to add Gnumed should work fine on GTK 1.2 -- no differences are
exposed to us as programmers, so there is no pressing need to
upgrade. The reason why I did it is to demonstrate te use of GTK2 themes, which
allow gnumed to achieve Richard Terry's stringent
 aesthetic requirements, such as borderless widgets.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E