Re: [Gnumed-devel] how and when to select encounter type

From: Richard Terry
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] how and when to select encounter type
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:38:56 +1100

I think we should have a default user-defined encounter type set.

I'd like to make an interesting point in regard to the suggestion to prompt
'on the way out' for the type of consultation - which at first glance may
seem quite silly, and that is of accuracy of patient identification.

One of the commonest mistakes I make with my medical records is the following.

I've seen the patient and entered details in the notes. I get called out of my
room to do something - or have patients in 2-3 rooms on a busy day. I return
to my room, call in the next patient, chat, take history, forget that the
last patients notes are still on the computer, write a script etc, print it
out. This mistake is aways picked up by the chemist because the patient has
to be identified. However, I'd be emabarrassed to say how often I do it. I'm
sure I'm not alone, although, of course none of you bright people would do
it. From talking to our chemists, it is not an uncommon scenario.

Hence I feel strongly that we should have the following.

On loading +/- exiting the patient record one should have the type of screen I
attatched to my medical records program (see png attatched). One could
include in this the type of consultation as per this thread.

Also I'd opt for a locked modal window which pops up into place after a
pre-defined periord of inactivity which needs you to confirm patient identify
to continue working.

Sounds extreme, but I don't think it is.

Regards

richard