Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer

From: David Grant
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: windows installer
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:21:48 -0500

James Busser wrote:

On Feb 21, 2004, at 9:06 AM, David Grant wrote:

2 weeks ago I upgraded to python-2.3 from python-2.2.  Gentoo has a nice
script called update-python-modules or something.  I ran that and it
re-"emerged" all my python software so that they get installed to the
python-2.3 directory and uninstalled from the python-2.2 directory.
This was about 30 packages.  It was pretty painless.  Using apt-get
would probably be even faster, but you'd have to type in every package.

Does this need to re-install or re-"emerge" python packages apply only to Windows, or are some or all other OS/distributions similarly affected? If so, do we identify whether a corresponding script exists to assist the other similarly affected OS/distributions and, where there is none, do we propose to python maintainers that they include one, or is it worth our contributing them?

All distributions should be equally affected. Every major distribution/OS should have its own uninstallation or re-installation method. It is up to the distribution/OS to handle this. It should basically uninstall whatever was installed, but it shouldn't touch and configuration files, namely those in /etc/, for example. The script I was referring to in Gentoo really just calls "emerge unmerge <package-name1> <package-name2>, etc..." In Redhat, I can't remember how to do this. In apt-get, it is "apt-get remove <package-name>", then "apt-get install <package-name>". I think there is a reinstallation method for apt-get as well but I can't remember what that is. In Mac OS X, there must be a way. If you are using fink, then you can just use apt-get I think. A Windows installer shouldn't be able to reverse whatever it did, for purposes of uninstallation.

David