Re: [Gnumed-devel] PUPIC etc.

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] PUPIC etc.
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:16:09 +0100

> > a) what is a gnumed-only patient-ID ?
> I meant a patient ID valid at least for the local gnumed-EMR system.
Sure :-)  But we don't really have any, yet, that's why I ask
so surreptitiously *evil grin*. We do have the PK of the
identity table but that's no good patient-ID because PKs
shouldn't really carry any meaning besides primary keyness.

> > demographics database in such a way that the patient PKs
> > magically match the retained and linked PKs in the documents
> > database at the surviving radiologists place. I want to be
> > able to re-link based on verifiable criteria as enshrined in
> > the PUPIC.

> Then what you want is something like a copy of patient
> identification data in clear text or encoded/encrypted in the
> PUPIC. I guess for most of cases name and dob/place of birth
> should be sufficient.
Mostly, yes. But I'd like to define a few more fields (as
mentioned before) to enable us to gather more data in a
structured way *if the need arises for a given patient or
population*. And then I want that encoded into a PUPIC so that
I can reuse it in separate services.

> Ok. Got it.
> Maybe we should have a function that returns a unique,one-way
> and encrypted ID representing these identification data.
We will have to collect a minimum set of data on the patient.
IMHO we should enforce at least one field in addition to
first-last-dob (and no, probably not cob). Say, mothers name
at birth of child.

That was, BTW, the base of my recent question to Ian whether
his demographics editor affords entering a PUPIC... *grin*

Karsten
PS: Hilmar, can you please make sure to reply to the list ?