[Gnumed-devel] Re: compat Python 2.1 vs > 2.1

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: compat Python 2.1 vs > 2.1
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:14:53 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> I see one can install multiple versions of python but how does it work?
> calling python in a shell always point to just one executable, right ?
Yes.  For details check the Debian Python policy.  In short: Many Python
versions can coexist nicely.  The package python depends from the default
Python version (will be python2.3 in Sarge) and symlinks /usr/bin/python
to this default version.

> One would have to specify the full path to python to use a specific version ?
Just call python2.1 if you are keen on this old version.

> I don't know how Debian handles this but 'apt-get install python' on Suse will
> remove the old version before installing the new one (I think).
Sorry - I have no idea what SuSE is doing here.

> Otherwise it complains about conflicting libraries.
This is different for Debian:

~> dpkg --get-selections | grep python | grep ^python | grep -v -- -
python                                          install
python2.1                                       hold
python2.2                                       install
python2.3                                       install

> It certainly is nice to keep backwards compatibility.
For sure if it is worth the effort.

> My guess is that by the
> time we deliver Gnumed to the public python as well as other packages will be
> well beyond their current versions.
Good point.  I guess at this time Python 3.0 will be out. ;-)

> Does anyone still use i.e. KDE3.0 ?
What means "still" in this context? ;-))

Kind regards

          Andreas.