Re: [Gnumed-devel] text-mode user interface

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] text-mode user interface
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:25:16 +0200

> I looked around and found very little information on the web. I stumbled
> across http://zemljanka.sourceforge.net/cursed/
One of the curses library. There are thousands, none of them
particularly good.

> The webpage says : Cursed GTK is a text console port of GTK+ (The Gimp
> Toolkit) based on ncurses. Allows to run X applications using gtk-2.0 on a
> text console (without framebuffer).
Ah, so it is something like aalib, translating graphics
directives to curses commands.

> the platform one chooses. So what would it involve to get a text-mode
> interface for Gnumed ? We got wxpython->wxWidgets->gtk<->cursed GTK
Ideally: wxPython -> wxWidgets-TurboVision-port -> console
realistically: Turbo Vision -> console

> There is also TurboVison : http://tvision.sourceforge.net/
The only known good curses user interface AFAICT. Used it in
Pascal years ago. Produced very nice UIs.

> As far as I understand someone would need to write a wrapper around
> Turbovison
> or the cua widgets much like the gtk wrapper ?
If you are talking wxWidgets <-> "console UI driver" then,
yes.

> I am a big fan of thin client environments. Would having a tex-mode interface
> mean one could use Gnumed on text-based terminals ?
Absolutely. Even with NCSA telnet on that lowly 386 DOS
client. Text mode would allow for direct-on-console (w/ w/o
framebuffer), remotely via telnet (but no security there), ssh,
etc.

> But having an interface without having to run X sounds nice.
I'd love that first sight.