Re: [Gnumed-devel] Database (table) size management question

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Database (table) size management question
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 14:05:05 +0200

> Onto PosgreSQL in GnuMed, is there a reason to do periodic transfers of
> records from one table to another, or is there no advantage to doing
> so, only drawbacks? Also it would be helpful to know what form any
> "archiving" or "purging" is preferred to take.

- PG handles millions of rows in Gigabyte-sized databases fine
- performance will decrease a bit
- with PG it is far more important to keep large tables
  fully vacuumed and analyzed, and, before 7.4, reindexed
- we do support automatic archiving already - whenever a
  record is deleted from an audited table it is archived in
  the corresponding audit table which can be joined back any time

The latter isn't to be confused with backing up the database,
however. That should be done regularly, too.

I'd move the data elsewhere physically a year after a person
died.