Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data integrity (was: Which distributions (distros) of

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Data integrity (was: Which distributions (distros) of Linux are recommended for GnuMed?)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:45:22 +0200

> >>2.) ALL changes to the database from 1.0 onwards are solely
> >>extensions to that
> >>1.0 script ("diff scripts"),
> >it is not feasible to speak of *that* 1.0 script
>
> Not feasible to speak of *that* script *yet* or, if I misread it, I
> guess whatever is the script that exists at 1.0 will de facto be *the*
> script in question.
No, the thing is, there is no *the* script. There's a bunch of
them potentially residing in various databases. So, we'd have
to define the 1.0 schema like this: script this of this
version plus script that of that version, etc. Which would, of
course, just be a

select * from gm_schema_revision;

at the time of declaring 1.0  :-)

> >d) provide data migration scripts from
> >1.0 to 2.0 when 2.0 is "released" for user-oriented packages
> >to use. This is a fairly complex task which I don't have time
> >to handle, currently.
>
> I imagine some of the doctors who use 1.0 (hopefully beyond the current
> developer group) would want the above to happen which could make help
> more likely.
Surely, include me in who *wants* the above to happen ...

> I have begun a wiki topic "Data Integrity" at
> http://hherb.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Gnumed/DataIntegrity
> and will update it once the thread is seen to die down.
:-)

> Maybe "Data Migration" or "GnuMed revisions" would be better terms
yes !