Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search in top panel

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] patient search in top panel
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 19:45:02 -0700

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

When starting Gnumed selecting a patient involves clicking into the selection wheel. It displays something like 'no patient' by default. One has to delete the 'no patient' or whatever is there before entering a patient name. I find this rather annoying.

What about when logging in GnuMed returns the user by default to whichever patient the user (doctor) last activated? I can imagine logging out, planning to leave the office and then as I think more about the patient realize "darn - also I need to arrange / do something more" and have to log back in whether it is just to add one more thing to the scratch pad.

It is true that for this to happen GnuMed would have to be able to save this on a per-user basis. Maybe Sebastian can most easily, for the immediate time, fix as he proposed and what I am talking about is relevant to post 0.1 (maybe for 1.0).

I can't remember if I already made the follwing suggestion to the list (pre-wiki). An ability for a user to view a list of patients in reverse order of last activation (by that user) would be very useful. Example - when a user remembers to have to do something more, or to make a correction, to a patient they were working on a bit earlier, but cannot remember the name.

Likely people will see value to different methods of patient navigation:
- by search box when the name is known
- by recentness of being activated (like a browser's Back or History tabs / functions)
- by browsing upcoming appointments
- by other live filters e.g. pregnant patients who have not yet delivered or who recently delivered
- by patients residing in a particular nursing home etc

The first of the above is provided in the top panel. Maybe the others would be developed in individual widgets and/or (later) combined into a more sophisticated widget.

Is this an idea worth adding under "future" to the roadmap?