Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: Low performance and ethereal

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re: Low performance and ethereal
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 00:48:20 +0200

> > - aggregating one-by-one value object queries into bulk retrieval
> > - proper indexing/rewriting of slow queries
> > - proper database tuning
>
> Sure. Especially the first point.
Hence that's what I will focus on if at all. But 2/3 shouldn't
be underestimated ! I am not talking fine-tuning but rather
sane configuration. PG is known to ship in
lowest-common-denominator setups.

> > - "local" database server (eg LAN)
> What was said about performance should only refer to LAN situations.
well, Hilmar was reporting on WAN links. Sebastian posted
numbers in the two second range for LAN links (still too slow
for my linking, though).