Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: previous postings to do with installers

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: previous postings to do with installers
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:25:23 -0700

On Jun 17, 2004, at 11:11 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
Maybe all "installers" should contain the same checking code as
"updaters" in case any user has previously installed components on
their machine(s).
They should.
Karsten

I got an idea from an old reply of Hilmar's to Sebastian's plan for a Windows installer.
In that reply, Hilmar suggested to have Python do the installation:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnumed-devel/2004-02/msg00114.html

Assuming that in a previous step a user has installed Python, could a Python script or application complete all of the rest of the installation?

If the answer is "yes", could we do as follows:

For each platform, an installer that would simply
a) check if Python is to be found on the target client or server machine and resolve any deficiency, and then
b) install a Python app or script to complete the installation

Re versions of Python:

- do we identify any one "release" of GnuMed as requiring a SINGLE version, or tolerating a RANGE of versions, of Python?
- could non-Python installers identify the version number(s) of Python packages already present on the target machine?
- if the version of Python is too low for GnuMed
- - must the existing version be kept on the machine, in case it is needed for 'legacy" Python apps or dependencies?
- - or do we assume all Pythons are backward-compatible and take executive decision to delete or disable the old
- - or do we ask the user
- - - and if we ask, should we "save" the choice, so it can be "read", and the user (who may be a newbie) "reminded" next time?

If so far we have a viable and preferred solution, we are talking about:
1) an installer of Python for each target OS/distro, configured to know GnuMed's "Python" needs
2) an installer/updater of GnuMed, written in Python

The installer/updater of GnuMed would:
- - - modified from the Sebastian/Hilmar post above - - -
<x-tad-smaller>1.) Check for an installation of wxpython, wxwindows, pypgsql
2.) Complain if they are not installed (search registry)
3.) mark missing ones for installation (links are hardcoded to internet
addresses, can point to a cd)
4.) download and install missing programs
5.) check for old versions of GNUmed
6.) update / install new
</x-tad-smaller>

also could Python be OS/distro-aware therefore a single piece of code accommodating OS exceptions as in:
if debian

elseif gentoo

elseif macos

elseif windows