Re: [Gnumed-devel] plugin framework

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] plugin framework
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:57:35 +1000

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:21:24 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
> That would be good. But the question was why there is
> *plugin* code in *wxpython/gmDemographics.py* ?
Because wxpython/gmDemographics.py is a fork of the original
wxpython/patient/gmDemographics.py
yes this code can be deleted AFAIK

> Eg, can we break it ? Also, I'd like to break the ugly direct
> connection between the top panel and "the demographic plugin".
Please do. I can't remember why I did it like that.

> They would still be, in a way. The self-containedness need not be
> physically but semantically, eg. loading gmLabJournal.py
> shouldn't require any other plugin to be loaded.
That's true.

> Here it shows why the above widget/plugin code separation seems
> useful: Horst might simply load the "vaccination panel"
> complete with lists, editarea and phrasewheels into a main
> notebook tab while Richard might instantiate it into the
> left-hand of his two/three column layout.
Exactly. But this means creating plugins under wxpython/gui for
vaccinations/allergies etc. so they can be accessed in notebook tabs.
(I have already started this process with gui/gmRequest.py, I'm
happy to complete this)

Also, for this to work the two/three column layout has to "take over" the
client window
As one notebook tab among many it's worse than pointless. The aim of this
layout is
so the user can load a large number of plugins (think >10) and still get to
them all with
a single click. And if all plugins you need are  in gmClinicalWindowManager.py,
the user
is entitled to ask, why have a bottom tab line at all? This is the concept of a
pluggable layout
manager.

> I think it'll make things more rather than less complex to
> allow the user to select that with an option.
How else can it work? We have two competing layouts. Personally I would
prefer either to the status quo, but no agreement is possible.
The current situation is the most complex and worst solution to the impasse as
it pleases nobody.

Ian

PGP public key E750652E at wwwkeys.pgp.net
9BF0 67B7 F84F F7EE 0C42  C063 28FC BC52 E750 652E