[Gnumed-devel] GUI layout / user configurability

From: Horst Herb
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GUI layout / user configurability
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:12:41 +1000

Attached a mock-up GUI design. Just untar into a directory, and type "python
minignumed.py" to get the idea. All you need is Python >= 2.3 and wxPython >=
2.4 installed.

The upper row is a horizontal sizer. Plugins (usually of "display" or
"summary" type) can just be packed into that row by adding to the sizer.

The lower "work area" is separated from the "top row" via a horizontal
splitter = user resizeable.

The "work area" itself is divided by a vertical splitter into the left side
containing a notebook widget, and the right side containing a vertical sizer
to allocate "tool" type plugins.

The notebook of cause gets pages added via plugins, usually of "clinical"
type.

Of cause, all plugins which add to any of the sizers mentioned above, can
implement new "splitters" that would allow user resizing of the plugin
widgets.

The GUI mockup is entirely created with wxGlade.
My real mini gnumed was created the same, only that the mockup widgets are
implemented as plugins instead of hardcoded into the framework.

Manually created code always inherits from wxGlade code, I neer edit wxGlade
generated code manually. That allows ongoing GUI modifications without any
code alteration.

Horst