Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: some com convenience views

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: some com convenience views
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:53:51 +0200

> >I would prefer producing
> >rows only for existing comm links, eg. a straightforward
> >denormalization of lnk_identity2comm_chan, and checking for
> >len(rows) == 0 in the application.
> saves processing/checking null or blank fields, I suppose.
I think so. It makes for three well-defined query outcomes:

error - something went wrong, the query *result* is undefined
no rows - query ran OK, NO rows returned
some rows - query ran OK, returned rows

This is what the run_ro_query/run_commit returns are modelled
after (they do need improvement, I started off with less
well-defined results and thus lug around unpleasant legacy
code).