Re: [Gnumed-devel] re-sizing widgets in wxwidgets

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] re-sizing widgets in wxwidgets
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 08:48:15 +1000

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 04:56, sjtan wrote:
> Richard had the idea of a multi-line text control that vertically
> expands as enter is pressed,  which could avoid the problem of entry
> widgets with mini-scroll bars
> and a tiny viewing area, but that would mean doing a re-layout ; is this
> possible in wx widgets ? I'd expect that the topmost container wouldn't
> resize, so that
> the framed child window would have to get a scroll bar if its  vertical
> extent exceeds the main windows' v extent.

Use a wxSplitterWindow containing a vertical box sizer containing the text
widget. You candynamically resize the splitter, and the rest will adjust it's
size automatically.You can set the sash size to 1 (or even zero ?) so it will
look just like an ordinary wxTextControl.

> Give me a gnu readline and console anyday!!

Yes. Yes. Yes.
Actually, my very own soap widget works like readline. Few letters, tab,
autocompletion & autoinsertion into database (like !bp130/80p65<tab> ->
"Blood pressure: 130/80, pulse 65 regular" into narrative,  and syst. 130,
diast. 80, pulse 65, regular into clinical tables with current timestamp,
current clinical session)

Horst