[Gnumed-devel] what coding means to me in this context

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] what coding means to me in this context
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:40:54 +0200

Horst,

we may have a misunderstanding here. "Coding" simply means
"attaching a code to a part of the narrative". It got nothing
to do with billing or more general it does not signify
anything else beyond the fact "this narrative item can be
sorted into the group which is described by that code" (which
makes my wording wrong, it's classifying, not coding).
Attaching a code to a soap item does not flag it for billing
(although the *billing* software side of things may decide to
take the fact that an item IS in fact associated with a code
to *mean* that this item is to be billed). Neither does the
fact whether a code is attached to a soAp item make it a
diagnosis or not. It simply makes it a coded or non-coded
Assessment item. Again, if the billing software decides to
regard coded soAp rows to be diagnoses to be used for
reasoning on billing - that's up to the billing software.

In short, the association is a fact the doctor makes about the
narrative item. The use of the association is an interpretation
thereof.

I am trying to provide facts that other parts of GnuMed can
use for interpretation. I am using sharp swords, yes.