Re: [Gnumed-devel] Thinking about a Gnumed middleware... maybe Gnumed2

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Thinking about a Gnumed middleware... maybe Gnumed2
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:17:10 -0400

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 02:01:55PM +0200, Carlos Moro wrote:

> ~    Hi all,
>
> ~    It's soon at the moment (uh!, but really nice to dream...) but we
> could begin to think about some design/arquitecture that would Gnumed
> evolve and scale well. I think it will involve clearly decoupling
> client, middle and backed layers. I'm more used to effective
> alternatives in Java (many times overused and missunderstood) but,
> looking for Python, i've found two of them that would allow to
> accomplish at least two major (i believe) requeriments:
I'm not sure how the status quo can't do this.

This issue has been debated literally for years on this list,
without any really satisfactory solutions. Many people have tried to
think up ways of basically autogenerating middleware from the backend schema,
(or generating both from a common base) However none seem to have the
flexibility of
our current "handmade" middleware, particular when it comes to wrapping complex
SQL
queries.

What would be good IMHO is a proper set of abstract base classes for the
middleware,
implementing stuff like caching in a common way

> ~             -Pyro (http://pyro.sourceforge.net/index.html) seems a
> mature enough option... It also provides a Notification server
> (without the need of that beast.... of CORBA  ;) ,
> http://pyro.sourceforge.net/manual/6-eventserver.html )
Has been discussed. It commits everyone to Python on both client and server,
which is felt to be unacceptable.

Unfortunately these basic design decisions have been made -- we need a really
good
reason to start again from scratch!

Ian