Re: [Gnumed-devel] test results and therapeutic ranges

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] test results and therapeutic ranges
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 03:28:24 +0200

> But also keep in mind that if we respect Karsten's caution, then
> clinically_relevant will never be decided nor have its value assigned
> automatically.
Yes, but still results can be marked to be outside val_normal
and/or val_target visually in the frontend guiding the doctor
to those results likely needing a decision on
clinically_relevant now.

> - test_results whose values are flagged by the lab
>    as within (or outside of) the reference range
We already have that thanks to Sebastian.

>    and/or
>    within (or outside of) target [if the data permits]
That we don't yet have thanks to my just having added it to
the schema ;-)

> - test_results which lack reference flagging information
didn't think of that before, hm

> The above could assist the doctor to code more than one row at a time
> to an appropriate boolean value of clinically_relevant (or not) - BTW
> do boolean data types in PG support a default of "null"?
Yes. Three-valued logic provides for typed NULLs effectively
saying "I don't know the answer to that question but whatever
it may be it will be of <this> type."

> So if we can abide computer-assisted "filling-in" of the *target*
> data, is it reasonable to design it to be limited to a *contiguous*
> graphical selection of test_result rows or, nongraphically, a
> SELECTion of FROM <DATE> TO <DATE> rows for target-filling, ALL OF
> WHICH MUST BE LIMITED TO a single value for fk_type (e.g. the LOINC
> or equivalent Au/German code) WHERE  the presence of any data in any
> of the selected target rows should invalidate the fill (or,
> optionally, offer to complete the fill up to -- but not including --
> the row that contains target data)?
Well, basically *any* combination of result rows that the user
has on-screen and decides to flag/reference either way. Even a
button "set target range for all INRs you find to
such-and-such" is fine since clicking that button is a
(perhaps unwise) user decision.

> And since it is possible that targets previously entered into a row
> were wrong, the target info contained in one or more such rows --
> again where they are contiguous -- could sensibly be allowed to have
> their target info overwritten, if that is what the doctor wishes done?
Sure. For good measure the old target range is fully audited.