[Gnumed-devel] Fwd: RE: 1. port remapping/redirection

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Fwd: RE: 1. port remapping/redirection
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:12:45 -0700

Some replies from my local support / advisor:

RE: 1. port remapping/redirection

 >From: Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
 >Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Status of Debian gnumed installers,
        also port remapping/redirection
 >What is the rationale of your ISP to allow 8443 but not 443
 >... you may be able to access your PG server
 >at home fairly easily since its default port is 5432

The reason for blocking ports 80 and 443 is ostensibly to prevent
worms that attack web servers from spreading among their residential
customers.  However, I believe they have ulterior motives, namely
pushing their server DSL packages on users.   We think the ISP only
blocks a few ports ...135,137,139 (Windows NetBIOS/CIFS/etc) and
80/443 (HTTP/HTTPS).  They might block 21 (FTP) as well.
The ISP can either block all ports (crippling their service) or just
some ports which is obviously what they must do
... so we are left with picking non-standard HTTP/HTTPS ports.

 >and *how* do they allow it ?

Presumably they don't specifically 'allow' it, but only block specific ports.