Re: [Gnumed-devel] Test results schema question re method of acquiring t

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Test results schema question re method of acquiring the result
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:29:28 +0200

> How/where is the information to be stored if a doctor should want to
> manually enter into test_result data that arrived on paper from a lab
> organization?
Quite exactly the same way as when it was imported by some
script.

> The table supports test_type_id which uniquely identifies a
> test_result as a test of type <code> originating from a particular
> organization.
Yes. Enter your own practice as an "organization", eg.
"in-house lab" and go from there. Widgets may opt to pre-fill
this value (eg. when entering weight, height, blood pressure
etc it is fairly obvious they were done in-house).

> A user might be allowed to pick (or specify) the source of the
> test_result from existing values for  test_type_id or to create a new
> row in test_type.
Yes.

> However it might be useful/important to distinguish whether the row
> inserted into test-result had been manually entered or had come via a
> particular software module/interface/script.
Yes.

> Among the auditing fields is modified_by which is NOT NULL DEFAULT
> 'current_user' but what value is written in here when the row is
> created as part of an import?
Well, the "current_user". The database does neither know nor
care whether that's a human or a script.

> Should there be a field "origin" or "interface" or "source" or
> "import_method" that might usefully specify the interface or script
> though which the value as imported or -- in the case of a manual
> entry -- the widget through which the result was entered?
Although I see no real value in distinguising beyond
manually/automatically (and if the latter maybe name/version
of import script) there are at least two possibilities:

- Add the import script ID into the test_result comment field.
- Create a designated database account.