Re: [Gnumed-devel] defn of open-source

From: scaredycat
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] defn of open-source
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:36:10 +1000

Roberto Mello wrote:

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 09:46:15AM +1000, scaredycat wrote:
this is only indirectly related to gnumed:

looking in oscar and sapdb source, it seems that a lot of it is still binary; does OS mean everything is source, and it might be somewhere else in the directory tree , or can a package be "OS" and still have significant parts not in source?

Open Source means a few things. Source must be provided and free for
redistribution and modification. See http://opensource.org/ or the
canonical source: http://gnu.org/

-Roberto

--
Roberto Mello
Software Engineer, Novell Inc.

much of the sapdb (maxdb now) open source linux download are configuration scripts in perl and python, but there are also these substantial .so files which are linked in, and I think contain the real code that does the work; oscar ( which is like a few orders of magnitude less significant and less widely used), has all it's struts actions and java code in class files, while the jsp and xml files are source. But they're both still called open source. So if Karsten released gnumed as a max--redo.sh script and a lot of .pyc files, would that still make gnumed open source?
I'm just trying to be concrete to a woolly abstract answer.