[Gnumed-devel] Carlos - Soap2 - design comments

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Carlos - Soap2 - design comments
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:19:30 +1100

This who debate typifies what goes on within gnuMed and why very little
forward progress is made in the gui design. The current incarnation of gui
design sucks big time.

It is a source of never ending frustration and saddness for me that we have
never reached a point of respecting each others abilities and learning to
work as a team together. Despite constant statements that anyone can have
whatever plugins they desire - the fact is that will never happen.

Overall functionality and utility will be dictated by the ergonomics of the
design. I note the interim jpg below and put forward these comments.

Again, as doctors we don't (and not just me - this is observation on the
ground of tens of dozens of GP's using computers) by and large 'go back' to a
tree like list of encounters very often. Having this take up valuable
workspace next to your input area's is a waste of screen real-estate - and
deprives you of much peripheral information.

Carlos - I'm not sure if you have read any of the philosophy behind my stuff -
if not - look at www.gnumed.net/rterry/Index.htm

Also - I knocked up a quick wxPython2.5.1 design a couple of months ago - much
more flexible than 2.4 -  (havn't touched the keyboard really since  despite
keeping an eye on the list) which illustrates a much more rational approach
to overall design  - as you can see from the attatched png's I've dumped
today, apart from the SOAP editor, I've just used some stock wxPython Demo
examples to fill in the spaces, so you will have to use your medical
imagination to fill medical data into this.

I keep coming back to the fact that we must have an overall design in mind as
we do this stuff.

Imagine how SOAP2 could be progressing if a team was working on it - ie say
Ian, Carlos, whoever. This data-entry paradigm pisses all over anything in
existance because it is so powerful, quick and easy.

Why in the hell can't we for once and for all give certain people
responsibility for segments of gnumed - allow them a final say - and then
just get on with it. Those who watch this list in the background - eg in the
AU university scene/governernment/medical defence organisations, have
expressed privately to me at times their frustration at watching this process
we have - and us getting nowhere fast. There are organisations in AU who
would like to contribute time/money to our effort, if only we could show some
progress and unity. The way things are moving here it could be in a couple of
years time that irregardless of the state of gnuMed it will be unusable for
us in australia because of local legislation regarding requirements for
medical records. If the project actually produced something, it could become
part of that process, rather than being trashed by it.

Seems like this is not going to happen anytime soon.

Regards

Richard