[Gnumed-devel] Words of Wisdom on Past History Data

From: Richard Terry
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Words of Wisdom on Past History Data
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 14:17:55 +1100

Regarding Malcolm Ireland, I must tell you that we have worked extensively
together over the years designing medical databases and writing (me)
programs. Malcom with his computing and university background + research
interests and his lateral thinking was a good counterbalance to my enthusiasm
and ideas.

After I came up with the editing area concept and wrote the original script
writing software, we moved on to thinking about medical record progress notes
input (never implemented). We spent many many hours using the editor concept
trying various forms of data-input, using the popup lists linked
intelligently to our underlying coding system (we developed - and I still use
- our own coding system).  Malcom interestingly, having been involved with so
much medical software and using another product (Medtech), still is of the
opinion that my VB client is the best example of medical software around.

Anway - progress notes. I'll flick your request to malcom and ask him to post
a reply to the list himself. In the meantime I'll make some comments myself

One of the reasons I never moved on to progress notes of the current
consultation when I wrote my stuff in 1997 was the deluded beleif that
because I wasn't a programmer, that my effort was certainly a short term
interim measure - and why waste more of my time, having spent 6 months
writing my system - when there would soon be something bigger and better soon
coming along, and I'd drop mine for it.

7 years down the track it never eventuated, however I did have progress notes
of sorts as shown in the accompanying PNG's. Every activity was recorded and
became a line of the progress notes, ie scripts, referrals, past history,
recalls, allergies, vaccinations etc. It was only the history of the current
presenting  complaint that I never implemented. At the time I generated the
progress notes from the data_ProgressNotes table as rows, each obviously
linked to a particular consultation/doctor. I then used Crystal reports to
generate a nice looking report that could be printed out, or exported in any
format from XLS to HTML to Word-docs or rich test files. I put in provision
for a summary of the consultation but as you can see from the screen dumps I
never implemented it.

These screen dumps are from a real patient currently attending the surgery
(with the name suitably rubbed out). As you can see by scanning them, despite
lack of presenting symptoms and clinically findings,  it is pretty easy to
follow the flow of what has been happening to him over the last couple of
years. (This backs up Malcolms observation that the two most imporant things
are what the patient wants and what the doctor did). There is no reason why
exactly this sort of format couldn't be used in gnuMed, and displayed in the
central area of the screen via html formatting. I beleive this 'sequential' -
a la paper - type of progress notes are the most useful, because we can
peruse them on the screen, scroll back and forth, and print them out if
needed, or forward them electronically.

Additional formats are of course needed e.g to type in a keyword, and bring up
all consultations containing that, or to choose display by problem and show
all those.

The main reason I am against the tree type of display is it is slow, unweildy,
we do not think about consultations in terms of dates or trees (though we of
course view them in chronological order). Out of all the viewing methods,
scrolling down the sequential pages is the most useful. In Addition, in most
of our clinical time we do not even refer to what has gone before, except by
memory. I guess in hospitals it is different when patients are being seen by
a number of different doctors.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards

Richard