[Gnumed-devel] re: import export

From: catmat
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] re: import export
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:01:13 +1100

It solves export and import as simple pg_dump -a / psql -f operations, because the primary keys are never repeatable, even in schemas on different machines where used sequence numbers
do not match.

ok , maybe it doesn't for individual patients , only for the entire database, and then a merge/deduplication would still be needed after that. (a role for febrl ?); the good thing about normalization is that merging would only require changing the id_identity foreign keys in clin_encounter and clin_health_issue.

( I vaguely remember looking at HL7 having some sort of multi-valued id value/ id context array type, possibly for this sort of record movement problem. oh well, thought I had a one line solution to a problem that's taking close to a decade for a group of experts to finalize ; but still, I thought the gnumed-only limiting scope was
going to make it simple ) .

Another approach, more involved and requiring more programming, is to export to some structured document file, and to reimport it with a importer that parses the structured document and issues sql insert statements. I was wondering if Carlos or someone has already / or is doing
this already.