Re: [Gnumed-devel] gui elements

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gui elements
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:19:15 +0100

> >To solve which problem ? In-database metadata such as primary
> >keys should never ever be of used outside the database in fear
> >of them acquiring business meaning. In light of this it is
> >probably good that PostgreSQL makes re-using sequence
> >values rather painful.
> It solves export and import as simple pg_dump -a  / psql -f
> operations,
Yes. But that is a logical backup, not a semantic one. One is
ex-/importing the data, not the information. *Mixing* data
into already existing information is what is hard.

> because the primary keys are never repeatable
Why would that be ?

, even in schemas on different machines where
> used sequence numbers do not match.
pg_dump actually includes code to set sequences to the
necessary values to make them match.

> Another approach, more involved and requiring more programming, is to
> export to
> some structured document file, and to reimport it with a importer that
> parses the structured document
That is how a semantic backup would need to be taken.

> and issues sql insert statements. I was wondering if Carlos or someone
> has already / or is doing
> this already.
Not that I know.