Re: [Gnumed-devel] need-to-know change to backend

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] need-to-know change to backend
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:46:04 -0800

At 4:03 PM +0100 11/13/04, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
 > would the "problem list"
 construct be a more useful component for an encounter/notes GUI?
Well, where exactly ?

I am just thinking that during the process of history taking, it is important to keep somewhere on screen the past history (well, the *pertinent* portions of the past history) i.e. the problem list which AFAICT we are taking to be a view over issues and episodes, selectable by is_active and clinically_relevant (the latter by means of soAp note links to clin_diag)

My reasoning is that as a patient reports symptoms, and while the SOAP note is taking shape, it is important for the doctor to guide the assessment in part by identifying: - whether this is something they have experienced before (the secretary may have only linked the encounter to the episode "xxxDEFAULTxxx") or - whether it *may* be connected to some other episodes of as-yet unexplained trouble, or
- may be connectable to an underlying, pre-existing issue.

Even if the doctor decides it is too early to commit a link to a suspected cause, awareness of the possibility can guide tests and/or a trial of therapy.

Also needed to guide the visit are the ability to see (or easily bring into view, this is part of the debate needed) some of the things I recently listed i.e. the scratchpad, any to-do list, medications which may expire or need to be changed, as-yet unactioned abnormal labs as well as (external to the current patient) other high-priority, time-sensitive tasks the doctor must get done.

If you are asking "where on the screen" I cannot yet say, I do not yet have the pre-alpha GUI working.